Electric Paris @ The Clark
February 16, 2013 – April 7, 2013
Long before the widespread use of electricity, Paris had been known as “The City of Light” — the name arose in the eighteenth century, when Enlightenment philosophers made Paris a center of ideas and metaphorical illumination. By the late nineteenth century, the term had come to be associated with “real” light in the artificially illuminated streets and boulevards of the French capital, and its showy spaces of public entertainment and leisure.
For more on Electric Paris: http://www.clarkart.edu/museum/exhibitions-future-detail.cfm?EID=3465
Image credit: Alexandre Lunois, The Department Store (Le Bon Marché), 1902. Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1990.14
Posted in: Uncategorized